Piano Pedagogy at UGA
“Dr. Jutras is the best teacher I have had at the University of Georgia.”
“So many doors have been opened for me career-wise by taking this course.”
“Dr. Jutras’s lectures were highly informed and cerebral, but perfectly understandable.”
“This class was really challenging for me, but it definitely helped prepare me for a future in education.”
- Pete Jutras, Ph.D., NCTM, is an Associate Professor of Piano and the Piano Pedagogy Specialist at The Hugh Hodgson School of Music (HHSOM) at the University of Georgia in Athens, GA. For more information on applying to UGA, please visit the HHSOM website at www.music.uga.edu. To learn more about the pedagogy program, please contact Dr. Jutras directly./li>
- A variety of classroom and independent study courses available with Dr. Jutras. Curricula based on core principles of effective teaching and current trends in research, technology, and professional development.
- Gain hands-on teaching experience teaching in UGA’s Community Music School. Work with children, college students, and adult students in group and private settings.
- Learn to teach with state-of-the-art technology in our piano labs and on our Yamaha Disklavier pianos. Work with distance applications, MIDI sequencing, instructional software, a networked Clavinova lab, SmartBoard presentation technology, and more.
- Connect with local independent teachers in the Athens community to observe teaching in a variety of settings and gain practical advice on business practices and studio policies.
- Practice and perform on in our world-class facilities. The HHSOM is an All-Steinway School
with outstanding practice facilities, four concert grands, and three concert halls.
- Take applied instruction and prepare degree recitals with our outstanding piano faculty: Evgeny Rivkin, Martha Thomas, and Richard Zimdars.
- Be a part of TONIC, our active student MTNA chapter. Recent graduates have presented sessions at local, state, and national conferences.
- Absorb the wisdom of internationally renowned guest artists and lecturers. Recent guests include Marvin Blickenstaff, Dave Brubeck, Ingrid Clarfield, Bob Duke, Claude Frank, Martha Hilley, Sam Holland, Louis Nagel, Jane Magrath, Scott McBride Smith, Alan Walker, and many more.
- Competitive Graduate Assistantships available for teaching and collaborative performance.
Coursework in piano pedagogy (classroom and independent study)
M.M. in Piano Performance with emphasis in Piano Pedagogy
D.M.A. in Piano Performance with Piano Pedagogy as minor area
- Undergraduate Piano Pedagogy
- Graduate Piano Pedagogy I
- Graduate Piano Pedagogy II
- Observations in Piano Pedagogy
- Independent Study in Piano Pedagogy
- Final Project in Piano Pedagogy
Pedagogy Symposia at UGA
- The piano department at the University of Georgia has been proud to host outstanding events featuring world-renowned clinicians, serving piano teachers across the Southeast. We hope you can join us at a future symposium.
- The ABC’s of Artistry
with Randall Faber
February 8, 2014
- Start Your Engines! Preparing Students for Success
with Ingrid Clarfield and Scott McBride Smith
February 18, 2012
- Transformative Teaching
with Robert Duke and Martha Hilley
February 20, 2010
- Tradition and Transformation: Innovative ideas to Improve Your Teaching
with Marvin Blickenstaff and Samuel Holland
February 9, 2008
- The ABC’s of Artistry